Audubon Discovery Camp
Audubon Discovery Camps are finished for 2013,
but our 2014 programs will be posted in January!
The 2013 Camp Brochure is here.
Explore the Yankauer Nature Preserve and other natural areas at our Audubon Discovery Camp. Several themes are explored each summer, from “Camp Survivor” to “Creepy Crawly Critters.” The camps focus on natural and cultural history as kids explore forests and fields, build forts, turn over rocks and logs, play games, and generally have so much fun they don’t realize how much they’re learning. Our goal is for campers to gain a better understanding of their role in the natural world by using their senses and exploring with mind and body.
When is Camp? Camp is typically held from 9am-3pm Monday through Friday, June and July. Registration begins in February, and space is limited. Children are kept in small groups of 8-10 and are led by experienced staff to ensure safety and individual attention.
How Much Does It Cost? Most weeks are $150/camper (including deposit) with some variation depending on the week’s theme and activities. You can choose to reserve your spot with a $50 registration deposit per session per camper and pay the balance of the fee by May 15 (online or by check). This deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable to another session.
Scholarships Camp Scholarships are available. The 2013 Scholarship Application is here.
Sessions and Waiting Lists
What Sessions Are Offered? To view this year’s brochure to see themes, times, and costs, click on the link at the top of this page. PVAS does reserve the right to cancel programs that are not full.
Waiting Lists When camp sessions fill, we offer waiting lists for each sessions. There is no money required to be on a waiting list. Campers are placed in a session in the order they registered for the waiting list. We encourage you to sign up for a waiting list. Although there are no guarantees, in the past, almost every camper on a waiting list has been placed in a camp session.
Information For Parents
Everything Parents Need To Know About Camp is here.
What To Bring To Camp: Most campers bring everything in a daypack.
- Old clothes -- campers will get dirty!
- Bug spray/lotion. Ticks are very common at all sites, so this is highly recommended. (Be sure to choose one that is appropriate for children’s tolerance.)
- Sunscreen or hat
- Snack, Lunch, Drink (non-caffeinated)
- Extra water bottle full of water (or two since we have limited water on the campsite!)
- Rain jacket or poncho if rain is forecast. Our programs go on rain or shine!
- Hiking or sturdy shoes (closed toes are best)
- Long pants will protect knees, but it is hot at camp, so they are not recommended.
- Please DO NOT bring:
iPods, MP3 players, etc, or any electronics/electronic games, Card games (such as Magic, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc.), Cell Phones (we have a cell phone for emergencies), Pocket knives, Anything valuable that you do not want to risk being lost or damaged.
How To Register
Registration Registration is available from February – July. Sessions tend to book early, so early registration is recommended! To receive an e-mail reminder when registration is open, of if you would like to register for a camp session by mail, contact camp director Ellen Murphy or call 304-676-8739.
The 2013 Audubon Discovery Camp Flyer is here.
Yankauer Nature Preserve • Monday –Friday 9am–3pm
Audubon Discovery Camps for 2013
Peter Burr Farm • Monday – Friday 9am–3pm
- Do You Like Spiders and Snakes? // June 10-14 • Ages 6–11 • $150 per camper
- Rock On! // June 10-14 • Ages 10–13 • $200 per camper
- Camp Survivor // June 17-21 or June 24-28 or July 8-12 • Ages 6–12 • $150 camper
- Bugs-A-Billion! // July 1-3, 5 • Ages 6–12 • $120 camper (no camp July 4)
- Camp, Canoe, Canal // July 1-3, 5 // Ages 10-13 $150 per camper (no camp July 4)
Preschool Camps at Yankauer Nature Preserve
- Bugs-A-Billion! // July 8-12 • Ages 6–12 • $150 per camper
- Ol' Time Arts // July 15-19 • Ages 6–12 • $150 per camper
- Out of the Nest // May 28-31 • Ages 3–4 • $50 per first camper / parent team
- Just For Fledgings // June 3-7 • Ages 5 (entering kindergarten) • $125 per camper
More Camp Opportunities for Middle and High School
- Junior Staff at Yankauer Nature Preserve & Peter Burr Farm (grade 7 and older)
- Teen Digital Photo Camp at Shepherd University (grades 9-12)